COS Pivot (on-campus only)
Web Guru Guide to Research for Undergraduates: Information about research opportunities, scholarships/fellowships, and much more.
Science Career Center’s Summer Internship listing: Extensive list of undergraduate summer research opportunities in the sciences.
- National Science Foundation
Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU): Funding for undergraduates to participate in research projects funded by the National Science Foundation (must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to apply).
- National Institutes of Health
Summer Internship Program (SIP): Opportunities for undergraduates to engage in biomedical research
- Leadership Alliance Summer Research Early Identification Program
Eight- to ten-week summer internships in the sciences, social sciences or humanities. The program is designed to encourage students from groups traditionally underrepresented in these areas to consider research careers in academic, public or private sectors.
- National Amgen Scholars Program
Summer research opportunities at a number of leading institutions. Includes a stipend, housing, meal plan, and transportation.
- UC Berkeley Amgen Scholars Program
Summer research opportunity to conduct research with a faculty member, communicate their science in poster and oral presentations, receive a stipend, housing, meal plan, and transportation.
- Summer Research Initiative to Increase Diversity in the Behavioral and Social Sciences
Summer program in behavioral and social sciences. Includes laboratory experience, lectures, workshops on pursuing graduate education, mentoring, and more. The program includes a stipend, room and board, and travel expenses.
- Pathways to Science
This is a project of the Institute for Broadening Participation (IBP). It supports pathways to the STEM fields: science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, with particular emphasis on connecting underrepresented groups with STEM programs, funding, mentoring and resources.
- Summer Undergraduate Research Program at the Curry School of Education at UVA
8-week summer program that provides undergraduates from underrepresented groups with research and professional development experience. The program includes a stipend, housing, and some travel and meal expenses.
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology
Research opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students. Multiple types of opportunities available including summer research.
- Junior Scientist Training Program
A 9 month program for college graduates (applications are accepted from college seniors or recent graduates) who need to strengthen their laboratory skills. The program is sponsored by the Foundation for the Advanced Education in the Sciences (FAES) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute: Janelia Undergraduate Scholars
10 week paid summer internship in neurobiology
- Fulbright Summer Institutes for US Undergraduates
Summer institutes in a variety of academic disciplines at universities in the the UK. The summer institutes cover the majority of institute costs.
- The Alvan T. – Viola D. Fuller Fellowships
Offer undergraduate students from New England an opportunity to participate in laboratory research with accomplished investigators. They carry stipends of $4,500.
- NASA Student Airborne Research Program
Six-week summer research program in Earth system science using NASA’s DC-8 flying laboratory.
- RISE (Research Internships in Science and Engineering)
Summer internships for undergraduate students from the US, Canada and the UK in the fields of biology, chemistry, physics, earth sciences and engineering. RISE summer placements take place with research groups at universities and top research institutions across Germany.
- SENS Research Foundation Summer Internship Opportunities
Research internships in regenerative medicine at multiple research sites including Harvard, University College London, Oxford, Wake Forest and others.
- Sigma Xi Student Research Grant
Grants up to $1000 to support research in science or engineering; special grants up to $5000 for astronomy and $2500 for eye or vision-related research. Applications due on October 15 and March 15 each year.
- NASA Undergraduate Student Research Project
Mentored research experiences at the NASA centers. The 10-week session in the summer includes a stipend of $6000 and the 15-week sessions in the fall and spring include a stipend of $9000. The project seeks applications from undergraduates who are U.S. citizens enrolled full-time in accredited U.S. colleges or universities. Applicants must be sophomores, juniors or seniors by the start of their internship. Eligible applicants must be U.S. citizens with academic majors or course concentration in engineering, mathematics, computer science, or physical and life sciences.
- NASA Undergraduate Student Research Program
NASA research and development internship opportunities to undergraduate students. Students work on practical problems that will see real applications in aerospace or on future NASA missions. These immersive NASA opportunities combine scientific research with professional hands-on engineering. USRP internship opportunities are offered year round in the Fall, Summer and Spring.
- Summer Medical and Dental Education Program
Six-week intensive and personalized medical and dental school preparation for eligible students (full tuition, housing and meals provided).
- REU Program in Computational Neuropsychiatric Genomics
Summer program in translational mental health research (stipend included). The program is located at the University of Chicago but involves collaborations with multiple other universities.
- Pasteur Foundation Summer Internship Program
Summer research internship at the Institut Pasteur in Paris, France. Interns will carry out research supervised by a lab mentor in biosciences and biomedical research.
- Energy Efficient Electronics Science Summer Internship Program
Summer research internship at UC Berkeley, MIT, Stanford, and University of Texas at El Paso. 9-week program for undergraduates interested in pursuing a Ph.D. in science. Program includes stipend, housing, meals, and travel expenses
- European Undergraduate Research Opportunities
EuroScholars is a unique study abroad program for advanced undergraduates whereby students have the opportunity to conduct research at a high caliber institution in a chosen field of study while taking a language and culture class. Twelve different European universities are participating as host institutions for the exceptional students in this program.
- University of Michigan Summer Research Opportunities
Undergraduate summer research programs in the sciences.
- Research Program in Declarative Programming and its Applications
Preparation for a career as a researcher or engineer in the computing arena or an area where computing is critical. Summer research program includes stipend, housing, meal plan, and travel expenses.
- National Geographic Young Explorers Grant Program
Grants to 18-25 year olds for projects in the fields of science, conservation and environmental studies, and in major fields of study such as Anthropology, Archaeology, Astronomy, Biology, Geography, Oceanography, and Paleontology.
- Molecular and Integrative Physiology Summer Research Fellowship
Summer research in physiology and/or biomedical sciences. Includes a stipend.
- Chicago Center for Systems Biology Summer Research Program
Summer research on biological networks. Applicants with computational science backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply. Includes a stipend.
- Summer Research Programs at Penn State Hershey
Summer research in biological sciences. Includes a stipend.
- MURF Undergraduate Research Fellowships at Caltech
Ten-week summer research opportunities. The program aims to increase the participation of underrepresented students in science and engineering. Students are provided with a stipend, and additional housing and travel support may be provided.
- Summer Program in Quantitative Sciences
Intensive 4-week introduction to biostatistics, epidemiology and public health research. The program provides a stipend, room, board and funding for travel.
- Summer Clinical and Translational Research Project
Ten-week mentored summer research program. The program provides a salary as well as housing and reimbursement for travel.
- University of Cincinnati Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship
Summer opportunities in biomedical research at the University of Cincinnati and Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center. Includes a stipend.
- Nebraska Summer Research Program
Summer research opportunities in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. Includes a stipend, room and board, as well as travel expenses.
- University of Missouri Undergraduate Research Programs
Summer research opportunities in animal sciences, biology/biochemistry, plant genomics, cell & molecular biology. Includes a stipend, room and board, as well as travel expenses.
- University of Maryland Summer Training and Research Program
Two consecutive summers of a 10-week research training and career development program in biomedical or behavioral sciences. Includes a stipend and on-campus housing.
- Noble Summer Research Scholar
A 10-week summer program in plant science-related research for students majoring in plant science, life science, chemistry or bioinformatics. Housing and a stipend are provided.
- Colorado Center for Biorefining and Biofuels
Summer research program in biofuel, biochemical, and biorefining-related research. Program includes stipend, housing/food allowance, and travel funds.
- University of Utah MRSEC Next-Generation Materials for Plasmonics & Organic Spontronics
Summer research opportunity for students with interests and backgrounds in physics, chemistry, materials science, and engineering. Includes a stipend, housing, a meal plan, and travel allowance.
- Biological Discovery in Woods Hole
Summer research program for sophomores and juniors in molecular and cell biology, neurobiology & behavior, physiology, developmental biology, ecology and evolutionary biology. Program includes stipend as well as room and board.
- Department of Homeland Security Summer Internship Program
Summer research program for undergraduate students majoring in homeland security related science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. Program includes stipend and travel assistance.
- Plant Genome Research Program Summer Internship
Summer research program for students interested in a research career in plant sciences to protect the environment, enhance human health, and improve agriculture. Program includes stipend and travel assistance.
- Summer Internships in Parallel Computational Science
Summer research program for undergraduates in high performance computing and related fields that use high performance computing for scientific discovery and modeling.
- American Heart Association Undergraduate Student Summer Research Fellowship
Summer research funding for students from all disciplines to engage in full-time research and to consider cardiovascular research careers.
- MIT Lincoln Laboratory Summer Research Program
Funded summer research program in advanced technologies to problems critical to national security.
- Center of Integrated Nanomechanical Systems Summer Research Program
Funded summer research program at UC Berkeley in nanoscience and nanotechnology in a variety of fields including physics, chemistry, and engineering.
- Environmental Health Research Experience Program at the University of Washington Seattle
Funded summer research experience in an interdisciplinary field that uses the tools of science to solve human health problems related to the environment. Students from groups traditionally underrepresented in the sciences are encouraged to apply.
- NOAA Ernest F. Hollings Undergraduate Scholarship Program
Funding for full-time summer internship at a NOAA facility as well as scholarship funding for one or two years of college.
- Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP) Undergraduate Summer Research Program
All expense paid summer research opportunity in an engineering-related field at Cornell University.
- Summer Undergraduate Research Program in Educational Psychology and Applied Developmental Science
For rising seniors: research on schools, classrooms, and other youth settings as contexts critical to child and adolescent development.
- Minority Diversity Initiative Program: Human Genome Sequencing Center at Baylor College of Medicine
Summer research program for juniors and seniors majoring in biology, chemistry, engineering, physics and computer science. The focus of the program is on increasing the number of underrepresented minorities in the genomic sciences.
- i3 Inclusion Institute of Information Sciences
Residential summer institutes, a year-long research and innovation project, and mentoring from professionals and academics within the field.
- Harvard School of Public Health: Summer Program in Epidemiology
Summer research opportunity for students from a group that is underrepresented biomedical research. The program is specifically for students planning to pursue masters or doctoral degrees. Those planning to attend medical school are not eligible to apply.
- Grad Prep Academy
Preparing black male undergraduates for doctoral study in the field of education. Applications are invited from college JUNIORS across all majors, not just education.
- Novus Biological Scholarship
Scholarship that is awarded to students pursuing a degree in a science related field. A $1,500 scholarship will be awarded to one student for the fall and spring semesters